Thursday, April 29, 2010

Last Week at Work



This week has flown by! I woke up this morning and realized that it is already Thursday- where did it go!?

In this last week, Rae-Lynn (the office staff assistant) was hired with a new business, and Matt (the other intern) took her place as the new staff assistant. Together, we have been trying to keep the office going at the same pace, and also getting Matt in the swing of his new position. I know he will do a great job, and he is very excited about the position.

The office itself has been a little hectic, with office routines changing, and lots of phone calls and meetings. I have also given a tour everyday this week, and two on Friday! Great way to end with a bang! It is a little sad that after learning all the random facts about the Capitol, once I go back, it will not be needed again.

I also made an intern guide for the office this past week. After having to learn so many things in the office by observing and copying other people, I decided that a manual for interning in the office is a necessity. I tried to include everything I could think of, but some things are better left explained.

Probably the coolest thing that happened to me today was that I got to spend time with Congressman Conaway on my own. I got to take a picture with him, and we walked to the office together, conversing one last time. He is leaving early Friday, so I had to say my goodbye’s today. I really enjoyed him making me, an intern, feel so special in his office this semester.

As nightlife goes for this week, I have been mostly packing and shipping boxes of clothes back. I decided not to check in any luggage this time, and only take a carry-on. I think it will be much easier, since I will be traveling by myself. Other than packing, the house has been playing the card game, spades, and WATCHING TV! That is right, we got cable back, and everyone is excited.

Tonight I had a Tech Alumn/Intern Mixer at Molly Malone’s. After that, six of us went to Tortilla Coast and enjoyed the northern version of Mexican food one last time. I also finished loading my last box so I can ship it tomorrow morning. Only two more days in DC! This feels so unreal! I will be flying out of D.C. on Saturday, leaving soon- I know. Then I will be giving a presentation to my college when I get back. After I finish up my work, I will head back home to see my family that I haven’t seen in four months! May will be very eventful for me, I have to catch up on lost times in Texas!

PS- I updated the calendar wall and my rubber band ball since I have been here. Both have grown so much!

Until next time,
madelon

No comments:

Post a Comment