Monday, April 19, 2010

Staying Busy and Keeping Up










This weekend, the Tech House was pretty empty. Everyone was out traveling and site-seeing! With the wonderful weather (not counting the wind), we were able to do many different things. Several of the interns went out of town, but a few of us stayed here, and I was glad I did!

Friday night, we prepared ourselves for the long weekend and had planned ahead. Three of us had a little movie marathon. We rented some DVDs and also found the La Bamba video at the Tech House, so we had to watch that! Our cable is currently out. So, if you don't want to watch the 5 news channels, Spanish, or Discovery Health, then you are out of luck!

Matt, Lori, and I got up early Saturday (believe it or not). We all were given Special Guest White House Garden Tour passes and jumped at the opportunity. It was quite amazing! It was like a big ranch placed right in the middle of the city. The big difference was that everything had been imported, planted, or built there. There were no stickers, weeds, or mesquite trees to be seen. But they had just about everything else: bee hive, vegetable garden, tennis courts, basketball courts, a collection of birds, children's garden, jungle gym, horse shoe lawn, a pool, and even a band performing in the middle of the lawn. It was beautiful. I wish I could babysit the girls! And when the secret service wasn’t looking, I stepped on the grass and got a picture for evidence.

After the White House tour, we tried to catch the Nationals baseball game. By the time we got there, they were already in the fourth inning. So instead, we went back to the Tech House to re-energize.

We changed our clothes, freshened up, and were back out. We headed out to the Arlington Cemetery. There were so many headstones, and such a large amount of land. We were able to catch all the activities at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We saw the laying of the wreath, changing of the guards, and retiring the American Flag for the day. All were quite memorable.

Since we were only two stops from Crystal City, we decided to eat at Chili's for dinner. It is the closest and most famous Texas chain restaurant this area has, and it sure does make me appreciate the food more! The three of us finally got back at 8:00 that night, and we were barely moving.

Sunday morning came very quick. I got up, went to church, came home, and everyone that was still on our floor decided to go to the Nationals baseball game. They were playing the Brewers. It was so fun! I have never been to a professional baseball game before. Even though, the Brewers got ten runs in the first inning, it was still fun watching the Nationals come back. The Brewers ended up winning 11-7. Maybe next time Nats.

We all got home and were excited about the Spurs/ Mavs basketball game. But we were quickly reminded about not having cable when we got back. So we made a date of it, and the five of us went to ESPN Zone to have dinner and watch the game. We got lucky too: we were seated maybe a foot away from a 32" TV that had the basketball game on it. I was definitely a sports fan that day.

Today, the office is out of session. We will be in session Tuesday through Thursday. There are tons of tours scheduled, and a lot of dinner and lunch dates. I am also still working hard on my online class, trying to complete it before I go back home. Wish me luck! But before I get serious on my work tonight, I have to get serious with my basketball skills with the interns!

until next time,
madelon

No comments:

Post a Comment